English Arabic Chinese (Simplified) Dutch French German Italian Japanese Polish Portuguese Russian Spanish Welsh
Children and Families

What can I do if I do not speak good English?


If you speak little or no English, you may need an interpreter when you visit the school. If you want to talk to the school about your child, it can be difficult if your child is acting as your interpreter. You can ask the school to contact the Council's Equality and Diversity service for assistance.


Your child's school may have a teacher with special responsibility who you can talk to about any problems or worries. It is important, for example, that your child receives the necessary support to ensure they can do the same lessons as the others in their class. Sometimes a teacher specialising in English as an Additional Language (EAL) will work with the class teacher helping children who are learning English.


Family Learning


If you would like to learn English with your children or find out ways in which you can help your children with their schoolwork, there are free courses available. Phone the Family Learning Office on 01726 891993.


What happens if my child has a disability or needs special attention?


There is help available for children with special needs, such as a physical disability, a learning difficulty, or psychological problems. Wherever possible, your child will be given extra help in a main stream school.




helpline for children in trouble or danger 0800 1111


A free national telephone helpline for children and young people in trouble or danger. It offers confidential counselling for any child under 18 with any problem – 24 hours a day, every day of the year.




Between the ages of 16 & 19 you are entitled to free education, and free English classes (called ESOL). After the age of 19 there might be some fees payable if you wish to continue studying.  Connexions are the government funded advisory service for young people, who can help with work and education questions.

If you want to go to university, your can approach the university directly, or contact Connexions, who will be able to advise you.


The Council for Racial Equality in Cornwall

Copyright © 2018 Council for Racial Equality in Cornwall. All Rights Reserved.

Web Site Design and Hosting by PIXELISM.CO.UK